Work at the Railroad Museum at
Ardenwood is done by a volunteers and a few paid staff.
Volunteers work in the following areas:
The museum is always looking for more
- Car Restoration: Volunteers work hands on on our collection
to restore wooden railroad cars.
- Car Maintenance: Volunteers maintain and repair our
operational cars and locomotives.
- Maintenance of Way: Volunteers repair and lay track,
switches, track side structures, and anything else to keep the tracks
- Interpretation: Provide interpretation to the public of the
history of the SPCRR, California Railroads, and the historical context
through storytelling and discussion.
- Operations: Volunteers operate trains for maintenance of way.
(Scheduled operations are done by employees).
- Research: Research and report on the SPCRR and related
California railroading.This involves both online and phyiscal searching.
- Administrative: Provide support to the organization - for
example newsletter and publication support, website and social media
If you are interested in working at
the Railroad Museum at Ardenwood take a look at our workday
activities page here.