Work at the Railroad Museum at Ardenwood is done by a mixture of many volunteers and a few paid staff. The museum is always looking for more volunteers!
Working on the Railroad
Volunteers work in the following areas:
- Car Restoration: Volunteers work hands on on our collection to restore wooden railroad cars.
- Car Maintenance: Volunteers maintain and repair our operational cars and locomotives.
- Maintenance of Way: Volunteers repair and lay track, switches, trackside structures, and anything else to keep the tracks running
- Interpretation: Provide interpretation to the public of the history of the SPCRR, California Railroads, and the historical context through storytelling and discussion.
- Operations: Volunteers operate trains on special events and for maintenance of way. (Scheduled operations are done by employees).
- Research: Research and report on the SPCRR and related California railroading.This involves both online and phyiscal searching.
- Administrative: Provide support to the organization - for example newsletter and publication support, website and social media management.
If you are interested in working at the Railroad Museum at Ardenwood take a look at our workday activities page here.